On-site medical waste treatment systems: why they are the future of medical waste management
On-site medical waste treatment systems are increasingly regarded as one of the best solutions to handle the byproducts of the healthcare industry. This not only includes medical professionals and hospital staff but the WHO as well, which keeps prioritizing non-incineration, green technologies.
Medical waste can pose a significant threat to public health and the environment. This is why its proper disposal is essential to prevent the spread of infectious diseases and protect the Earth. Not to mention the hefty fines you have to pay if your medical waste management system does not conform with the regulation of your country or state.
In our next article, we will explore the benefits of on-site medical waste treatment systems and how Celitron's Integrated Sterilizer and Shredder (ISS) is a cutting-edge solution that will make the life of hospital management and staff much easier.
What are the benefits of on-site medical waste treatment systems compared to off-site methods?
Traditionally, medical waste has been transported off-site for treatment and disposal. However, on-site medical waste treatment systems have several advantages over off-site methods.
On-site medical waste treatment systems eliminate the need for transportation, reducing the risk of accidents and spills. This is especially important when it comes to medical waste, as it contains potentially infectious materials that can cause serious harm if not handled properly. By treating your waste on-site, you can ensure that it is handled safely and securely, protecting both the public and your staff.
One of the main benefits of on-site medical waste treatment systems that all healthcare facilities should consider is their cost-effectiveness. The off-site disposal of infectious waste comes with very high transportation costs. However, if you can already treat the waste on-site so that it is sterile, that means you dispose of it like regular municipal waste and avoid the high costs that come with handling hazardous waste. Additionally, on-site systems can also reduce the need for additional staff, as they can be quite user-friendly, and this can be operated by the staff members you already employ.
Reducing your environmental footprint comes with benefits. First off, you will be diminishing the need for transportation and the use of landfills but you also won’t have to worry about meeting the regulations set by entities like the WHO. And the cherry on top? Reducing your environmental footprint also comes with reduced operational costs!
How does Celitron’s on-site medical waste treatment system work and how does it benefit healthcare facilities?
Celitron's ISS (short for Integrated Sterilizer and Shredder) is a state-of-the-art on-site medical waste treatment system that combines sterilization and shredding in one compact unit. More than 500 units of this system are already present in over 40 countries around the world.
So, how does it work, and what makes it such an effective and practical method?
- Sterilization: The ISS uses steam sterilization (high-pressure combined with high-temperature steam),which is a highly effective method for eliminating even heat-resistant bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. This is important for medical waste, as it is essential to ensure that any potentially infectious materials are eliminated to prevent the spread of diseases.
- Shredding: Celitron’s on-site medical waste treatment system shreds the sterilized waste into small pieces, reducing the volume by up to 20% of its original size. This makes the waste easier to handle and reduces the need for additional storage space. It also makes the waste less visually unappealing and less odorous.
- Compact design: The ISS is a compact unit that can fit into a standard shipping container, making it easy to transport and install. This makes it easy to move the system to different locations, such as different healthcare facilities or disaster relief sites. It is also available with different capacity chamber sizes to fit the needs of facilities of all sizes. On-site incinerators require much more space and higher investments to be implemented into your waste management system.
- Cost-Effective: Our on-site medical waste treatment system is a particularly cost-effective solution. Not only does it reduce transportation costs, but it is also designed to be energy-efficient, which can help to reduce operating costs (as well as your environmental footprint). It also has low maintenance costs and a long lifespan, which means that it can save you money in the long run.
- Environmentally friendly: The ISS reduces the environmental impact of medical waste by eliminating the need for incineration and landfilling. Incineration can release harmful pollutants into the air, and landfilling can take up valuable space. The ISS, on the other hand, sterilizes and shreds the waste, reducing its volume and making it safe to handle.
- Safe and user-friendly operation: The operation of our on-site medical waste treatment system is much easier compared to incinerators. It also comes with a completely automated operation that only requires the push of a few buttons to launch. What’s more, special safety features prevent unwanted accidents by keeping the door of the machine closed while pressure and temperature levels are still too high.
What kind of materials can be handled by Celitron’s on-site medical waste treatment system?
Celitron’s Integrated Sterilizer and Shredder can treat different types of medical waste on-site, including:
- Plastic, papers, bandages, swabs, textiles, glass, and disposable medical tools
- Medical waste contaminated by blood
- Discarded diagnostic samples containing blood and body fluids
- Needles and complete sharps waste containers
- Vaccine roller bottles and other cell culture dishes, specimen containers
- Medical waste originating from isolation ward patients
- Surgical equipment like the metal blade of scalpels
What kind of materials SHOULD NOT be put into Celitron’s on-site medical waste treatment system?
- Pathological waste (identifiable human body parts)
- Oversized metal objects such as scissors
- Pharmaceuticals (any unused, contaminated, or expired medicines)
- Chemical waste
- Radioactive waste
- Genotoxic waste
If you’re searching for a highly-effective on-site medical waste treatment system that helps you operate safely and profitably while meeting all EU and WHO standards, you definitely won’t be disappointed by Celitron’s ISS.
For more details about implementing the Integrated Sterilizer and Shredder at the site of your hospital, don’t hesitate to CONTACT THE CELITRON TEAM!