Clean steam generators in 2018 - innovations and their impact in medical field
A clean, sterilized and germ free environment is crucial for smooth operation of any hospital, clinic or any other healthcare institution – after all you want to get your patients better not worse, right? Sterilization is absolutely crucial for prevention of spread of infectious diseases.
How would one go about achieving this end? Medical facilities have proper equipment and system in place for sterilization, such as autoclaves, washer-disinfectors etc. If you are in the medical field you probably already know that cleaning and sterilization using chemical agents is old news and nowadays autoclaves installed in medical facilities require steam for effective sterilization. Hospital steam generators provide the right type and amount of steam. But be warned and don’t just use any steam generator!
In order to achieve highest standards of cleaning and disinfection, clean steam generators are required. Clean steam is devoid of impurities and hazardous chemical substances and poses no risk to health. Now, before you go around selecting a clean steam generator you must be aware of what to look for. Important design considerations of a high standard clean steam generator are:
- High quality corrosion free material for construction - Highest quality stainless steel (Type 316L) is normally used for construction of its internal piping that is welded together by automatic welding. It is very important that electrical steam generators that generate clean steam are free from any cervices or cracks. If care is not taken in this regard, corrosion material like rust may enter the steam contaminating it.
- Generator must be sealed and leakage free - This for preventing the contaminants from entering the generator which they might do so if there is a leakage or if air is being pulled in.
- Preventing growth of microorganisms- microorganisms may grow colonies if condensate is allowed to collect. Stagnant water forms an ideal environment for microbial growth. The clean steam generated is distributed at around 15-25psi to the target surface so that a temperature of about 121-134 degree Celsius may be achieved. Condensate from the generator is separately collected and not fed back to the clean steam generator.
Now that you are familiar with some of the important properties a clean steam generator must possess, let’s look at how clean steam is generated:
First of all the feed water is treated and impurities are removed. According to most standards the purity level of feed water must be as that of Water For Injection (WFI). Next step is heating the feed water to turn it into steam. This can be achieved in a number of ways like for example, using plant steam for generation of clean steam. However, this may complicate the process by increasing the chances of contamination. Electrical heating is clean and suitable choice especially for medium to low capacity generator.
Pressure of the steam generated is dependent on the autoclave but most of the time 15 psi at 121-134 degree Celsius is appropriate. Sterilization time depends on temperature. Generally, at 121 degrees sterilization requires 15-20 minutes while at 134 degrees it requires around 3 minutes. A droplet removal system is critical for clean steam generation because water droplets if carried forward with the steam cause contamination. Clean steam generators come equipped with droplet removal systems. This results in dry and saturated steam as per requirement. Furthermore, it eliminates the need of any separator in the distribution piping and filtration is also not required as the steam generated does not contain any solid impurity if the system is designed as per standards.
Now that we are equipped with all the background knowledge required to go looking for a clean steam generator, we can confidently look for what we need from what the market has to offer. Are all clean steam generators the same? Of course not! After much searching and surfing, Celitron’s Clean Steam E Series seems to be best choice of 2018 for clean steam generation. Their generators house an electrical steam boiler made of 316L Type stainless steel for clean steam generation. The distribution pipes, framework, panels etc, everything else is also made of stainless steel. This meets all standards specified for material of the surface coming in contact with the clean steam. Moreover, following qualities make it an excellent choice:
- Compatible fitting with autoclaves of almost all brands – this makes it an ideal choice as an autoclave steam generator.
- Compatible with centralized system serving more than one sterilizers – most hospital and medical facilities have central sterile departments and clean steam generation system must be centrally fitted.
- 200-300 KW and up to 420 kg/hr steam capacity – high efficiency operation with low power input and high output.
- Quick, easy and efficient installation – it takes only one day to complete and finalize the installation!
- Automatic control and operation – the generator is fully automatic and no manual operation is required. All systems are intelligently controlled through state of art microcontroller technology.
- Foolproof safety system - microcontroller is programmed to automatically control the operation of security equipment as well make the generator safe and reliable.
- Simple authorization system – approval process is easy and simple.
- Clean solution – no diesel generator required – no harmful emissions
- Easy maintenance- integrated self-diagnostic system ensures reliable operation.
Celitron’s Clean Steam E Series generators clearly provide efficient, clean and reliable solution for medical sterilization and disinfection and have received top rated reviews and feedback from customers.
So that was all about clean steam generation and its application in medical field. Do let us know what you think in comments below. We value your feedback!