Fish rendering plants play a large role today in disposing of and recycling waste originating from aquaculture. Fish farming has grown so large in the last years that its production has even outgrown other livestock like poultry, pigs, sheep, and cattle. As with all other industries, ramped up production also means more waste, and the management of that waste is the responsibility of each fish farm.
However, one should not just look at this as a law-bound engagement. It can not only be profitable for the environment we live in, but for those working in the aquaculture sector as well. Read on to know how to make the most out of fish by-products with Celitron’s onsite fish rendering plant!
Why is fish rendering so important?
Aquaculture covers the breeding, raising, and harvesting of fish in all kinds of water environments. Due to the growing population and the rise in fish consumption, fish farming has seen great growth in the past years and accounts for about half of the world’s fish consumption. However, this has also led to a decrease in stock due to overfishing, which in turn has led to a great increase in fish meal prices: in fact, the cost has increased fourfold in the past 15 years.
Decreasing the environmental footprint of aquaculture has thus become a top priority for a sustainable environment, and to cater to customers’ need for a sustainable source of food.
Fish farms will also need a sustainable way to provide feed to their fish, and ways to not only dispose of fish waste safely but also recycle it. Soybean is a good example of a protein-rich fish feed, unfortunately, it also comes with huge changes to the land: to feed livestock and fish, many trees are cut down and natural habitats are destroyed.
Fish farming also comes with a lot of waste and by-products that are expensive to manage, such as skin, bones, fins, fish heads and guts. Licensed animal waste disposal companies can help remove that waste, but that still comes with some risks associated with storage, and fish farms still need to pay transport costs.
What are fish rendering plants and what are their benefits?
Fish rendering is an effective waste disposal process occurring at special plants that not only allows fish farmers to safely dispose of their waste but to instantly recycle waste into a protein-rich fish meal. Through the process of rendering, aquaculture waste that would otherwise be simply disposed of can be reconverted into valuable components for fish farming.
For those working in the aquaculture sector, this is an ideal way to provide quality nutrition for their fish and dispose of their fish farm waste at the same time. Not to mention that it helps make fish farming more profitable by saving costs on waste disposal and generating quality feed without having to rely on outside sources.
High-tech fish rendering plants use high-temperature steam to sterilize waste and then proceed to shred it, dry it, and separate it into solids and liquids to create fish oil and dry feed, which can also be sold as quality fodder for other livestock animals, providing new opportunities to generate income from aquaculture waste.
Of course, this way you would still need to transport waste to offsite fish rendering plants. But what if you could complete the whole fish waste rendering process onsite?
Celitron’s onsite fish rendering plant: the ISS AGRI Facility
Fortunately, fish rendering can be exceptionally easy with the help of an onsite fish rendering plant: thanks to Celitron’s ISS (Integrated Sterilizer and Shredder) AGRI Facility, you can have your long-term solution for disposing of fish waste and by-products, without having to rely on outside services!
Why should I be using Celitron’s onsite fish rendering plant?
There are many benefits to using our fish rendering plant to dispose of your waste, such as:
- A cost-effective operation: the ISS Agri Facility has a very low energy consumption, which is not only good for the environment but helps you keep your business profitable with low operational costs that do not cut into your profits.
- No harmful emissions, no bad odours: thanks to a closed vessel system, there is no risk of air pollution, and you will not have to deal with unpleasant smells coming from the fish rendering plant.
- No storage, no transportation: our onsite fish rendering plant enables you to quickly treat all fish by-products right at the site of your fish farm. No need to store hazardous fish remains, or to pay a licensed service to get them off your site.
- Quality feed (fish meal): the rendered fish by-products provide essential, protein-rich nutrition for farm animals, and are easily digested by livestock and fish alike.
- User-friendly operation: the complete process is automatic, and can be launched with the push of a button. Once the fish waste is loaded inside the machine, you will be able to collect all end products in about an hour.
- Medical-grade sterilization: the rendered fish by-products are completely sterile and free from any foreign, infectious materials.
- Extra safety measures: to prevent incidents, the door of the ISS Agri Facility cannot be opened while pressure and temperature levels are still too high inside the vessel of the plant.
How does Celitron’s onsite fish rendering plant work?
To bring you quality dried fish meal, fish oil, and fat, the ISS AGRI Facility uses steam at extremely high temperatures that can go as far as 134 degrees Celsius to ensure the load inside is thoroughly sterile. Afterwards, using powerful shredding blades, the fish carcasses are rendered, and separated into solid and liquid parts: the machine automatically dries the solid parts to bring you fish meal.
Handling the safe disposal of fish waste is an ever-present responsibility in the constantly growing aquaculture sector. Still, you should also look at it as an opportunity to recycle quality nutrients (protein, fat, oil) from your fish by-products, and help you save on animal feed as well as carcass storage and transportation costs. Make sure to take a look at the specifics of Celitron’s onsite fish rendering plant on our website!